Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Operation Write Home Last Hoorah!


I am not sure if every one is aware but Operation Write Home is ceasing operations at the end of this year.  The last date to accept cards is August 1.  I have been meaning to send cards forever, so with the end in sight, I had to get it done.  I enlisted the help of some friends and had a little party at my home.  I designed several cards and prepared all the pieces for my friends to assemble.  I tried to leave some creativity in each design.  There was always a choice of sentiment that my friends stamped.

This is the first card I designed.  I found the base at Michael's in a 10 pack with envelopes on clearance.  OWH wants to limit each design to 30, so I purchased 3 packs.  OWH also advised some kraft papers may be too dark to write on with a pencil if that is all the service member has available.  Therefore each of these is lined with the same die cut shape inside but larger and solid card stock.  The cut was made on the Cricut.  Sorry, I cannot remember which cartridge.  I picked the shape because it closely resembled the Stampin Up punch and stamp set I used.


I thought my friends would have fun with the washi.  I stuck with oranges, reds, and tans as washi colors.



I made these two cards but the cards with this design were completed by Nikki and her daughter Abbi.  Her son Drew is a Marine stationed in Japan.  


Ingredients:
Stampin Up tiny bracket punch
various washi tape
QQ tahiti chalking ink
Ranger Spring Floral ink
SU white confetti paper
SU stamped sentiment
twine
Coordinations paper
and wood grain paper
Cricut cut

Here is all the cards bundled by them ready to go to OWH:



We made 87 total cards!

I will be featuring some others I designed for OWH shortly.

I would like to enter this in the following challenges:


T is for Twine




Thanks so much for stopping by!

Alicia

5 comments:

  1. A great idea to design cards that left room for individual creativity. I like to put a white or cream panel inside dark cards too, it's a very useful tip. Thanks for sharing at Cardz 4 Guyz
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a gorgeous set of masculine cards and for such a good cause. You did a fantastic job! Thank you so much for joining us at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hadn't heard about OWH. Great charity. Sorry to see it go, but know it was an immense undertaking. Great card design! So good of you to organize. Glad to have found you through City Crafter Challenge Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely ideas, thanks fro sharing. So pleased you joined us at Cardz 4 Guyz. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super card for a super cause!! Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!!

    ReplyDelete